Written in 2008, “Groundswell: Winning In a World Transformed By Social Technologies” remain relevant as a key resource for business leaders seeking to understand the phenomenon of social technology. Additional information about the book can be found on the official Groundswell site.
In 2009, a subset of the marketing-focused chapters were published as “Marketing In The Groundswell”.
Awards for Groundswell
- Awarded the American Marketing Association Foundation’s prestigious Berry-AMA Book Prize for best marketing book of 2009.
- Named by Amazon as one of the Top 10 Business & Investing Books of 2008
- Named by CIO Insight as one of the Top 10 Business-Tech Books of 2008
- Named by Fortune Magazine as one of the 3 best Web books of 2008
- Named by Advertising Age as number 3 of 10 Books You Should Have Read
- Named by BusinessWeek as one of the Best Innovation & Design Books of 2008
- Named by strategy+business as one of the Best Business Books 2008 and “Top Shelf” in Marketing
- Named one of 10 Insightful Web 2.0 Books by CIO Insight
Reviews of Groundswell
(The book) is not so much a manifesto or a dissection of online culture as it is a how-to manual for executives and mid-level managers trying to navigate this fast-changing and often confusing environment.
- Ideas: Book Review, Financial Times
For anyone interested in social media’s impact on business, Groundswell is a great read.
The Forrester analysts have prepared one of the most comprehensive and useful primers on the sudden surge in social media.
- Groundswell Gains A Following, Advertising Age
This is recommended reading for people in any kind of web marketing role.
How To Change The World, by Guy Kawasaki
This book will rock your world, if social technology hasn’t rocked it already. It’s a tsunami of unstoppable force. Amazon, Procter & Gamble, Facebook, Google, and Dell are profiting from the crest of the wave. Are you? Li and Bernoff are the apostles of the tsunami. This book will be your bible.
- Scott Cook, Founder and Chairman of the Executive Committee, Intuit
Groundswell provides practical advice on how to stay nimble and flexible in an ever-morphing digital world. Enabling your company to respond to change quickly – especially when talking to and supporting your consumers – is essential for business success.
- Cathie Black, President, Hearst Magazines
The first phase of the Internet was about getting everyone connected. In this next phase, which changes the way we work, live, play, and learn, we’re starting to realize the value of those connections as well as the new communications and experiences those interactions lead to – the ‘human network.’ Groundswell effectively documents this shift and underscores the opportunities available to all from this major market transition.
- John T. Chambers, Chairman and CEO, Cisco Systems
Heed the Groundswell! It’s critical reading and helped us master the new dynamics of social media.
- Christina Norman, President, MTV Networks
Groundswell is a comprehensive look at the tidal wave of change engulfing marketers. Nobody should attempt to engage the newly empowered and emboldened consumer without first hearing what Li and Bernoff have to say on the subject.
- Clark Kokich, CEO, Avenue A | Razorfish
Social technologies and the groundswell impact every business and organization worldwide. Li and Bernoff have written an insightful book that takes a refreshing research-driven approach to helping businesses transform themselves and successfully navigate this new dynamic landscape.
- Steve Rubel, Senior Vice President, Edelman Digital, and columnist for Advertising Age
Internet-style communication tools change organizational communication completely, providing a means for workers to run organizations more effectively. Groundswell describes how this can happen in any organization, focusing on the human issues, which is the hard part.
- Craig Newmark, Founder, craigslist.org